The first book I completed this year was Living Above the Level of Mediocrity by Charles R. Swindoll.
Originally published in 1987, this book is loaded with timeless wisdom for those committed to living in excellence and it is based on the Bible.
Here are five points I have highlighted from Chapter 6 of the book, "Determination: Deciding to Hang Tough." I hope they inspire, encourage, inform, and enrich you, as they have me.
- If you don't dream, your leadership is seriously limited.
- Those who don't have vision or determination, and refuse to dream the impossible, are always in the majority. Therefore, they will always take the vote. They will always outshout and outnumber those who walk by faith and not by sight, those who are seeking the kingdom of God and His righteousness. Those who choose to live by sight will always outnumber those who live by faith.
- Age has little to do with achievement and nothing to do with commitment.
- Never take your cues from the crowd.
- If you're so insecure that you must have everybody agreeing with you before you can go on, you are in for an extremely uncertain future. Leadership will elude you, I fear. May our Lord give you fresh courage to stand firm even when others disagree.
"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways," declares the Lord. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts."- Isaiah 55:8-9