"What is my reward then? That when I preach the gospel, I may present the gospel of Christ without charge, that I may not abuse my authority in the gospel."- 1 Corinthians 9:18
Scripture speaks of responsibility and authority to govern your sphere of influence with integrity.
Everything God has given you stewardship of: time, mind, body, finances, and relationships, should be handled with responsibility and within His sovereign boundaries clearly depicted in Scripture.
I gather five points here:
- Use your authority wisely. It matters and it pleases God.
- Lead people who depend on you to greater understanding and growth. Not to yourself.
- Don't use authority for your own benefit.
- Your authority is not for you, but to ultimately show forth God's glory on earth.
- God-honoring leadership steers people to healing and improvement. Self-driven leadership results in abuse of power, confusion, and hurt.
Leaders, do not abuse your authority. Take the domain God has given you to exercise responsibility, integrity, and stewardship governed by God's Word.
This way, you and all matters in your sphere of influence are fulfilled and God is glorified.