Skip to main content

Luke: The Gospel of Amazement

"And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying 'This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.'"
- Luke 22:19

Earlier this week I completed Michael Card's commentary on the book of Luke, Luke: The Gospel of Amazement. 

Not only is this the very first biblical commentary I have ever completely read and "worked" through, but it has set the bar high for any other commentaries I pick up.

A big reason why I enjoyed this study of Luke is due to how passages of Scripture are broken up into digestible parts. This is not your average commentary. 

Most commentaries are broken out on a Scripture-by-Scripture basis, whereas Card's commentary is passage-based. This structure allows readers to look at passages as part of a larger story. 

Several themes stand out:
  • Jesus was just a human as you and I
  • Jesus was drawn, like a magnet, to those in need, especially the poor, overlooked, and marginalized
  • Jesus served with heart-moving, action-taking compassion during His earthly ministry
  • Jesus, the most powerful man living at the time, served unselfishly 
  • Jesus made what was impossible, possible
  • Jesus fulfilled all Old Testament prophecy concerning Him
  • Those who should've grasped who Jesus was on earth didn't, and those who shouldn't have caught the revelation of who He was did
More posts about this exciting and enlightening commentary are on the way. It enriched my walk with the Christ and my understanding of His Word and Who He is and these are revelations that I am looking forward to sharing with you. 


Be blessed.

My Bible and Luke: The Gospel of Amazement. I spent many mornings and afternoons reading, writing, studying, and praying with these tools, along with my notebook (not pictured).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birdland

Last night, the very last night of our NYC vacation, my parents and I attended a jazz show at the legendary Birdland.

GRAMMY nominated jazz vocalist Karrin Allyson was in the house.

Before I go any further, I must give kudos to Allyson and her band consisting of Miro Sprague (piano & Rhodes), Jeff Johnson (upright & electric bass), and Jerome Jennings (drums). They were great!

Allyson's clear voice and the band's musical prowess made for a top-quality performance. There is no room to doubt: everyone on the stage last night were professionals.

Being at Birdland is an experience, if anything, because of its rich history in providing a venue in entertainment-rich Manhattan for jazz artists and musicians.

This is the same Birdland that George Shearing wrote "Lullabye of Birdland" about and artists such as Ella Fitzgerald, Dexter Gordon, Lionel Hampton, Sarah Vaughan, Quincy Jones, Chaka Khan, Amy Winehouse, Mel Torme, Erroll Garner, and Nikki Yanofsky later sang …

The Synth Sounds

I am excited to share that my first jazz project is nearing completion. (Also why this is my first post this month).

Other than piano, you can definitely expect to hear sounds of 1980's and 1990's-era synthesizers filtered throughout the upcoming album.

I admire the newer sounds we have today, but none of them quite replicate the original, synth-led sounds of 80's and 90's music.

In my opinion, 80's and 90's sounds present the perfect crossover of analog and digital mixes that were limitless in use and expression.

It is no wonder that modern synthesizers today still draw inspiration from 80's and 90's technology. It was simply some of the most innovative audio machinery ever created.

No shame here. Expect 80's and 90's vibes to come your way in my upcoming project.

Stay Tuned!!!


A pile of my module racks from the 80's and 90's used and simulated on my upcoming jazz album.

Luke 2: Where the Unqualified Come First

"And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying:  Glory to God is the highest, And on earth peace, goodwill toward men!" - Luke 2:13-14
Here is what we often neglect about this scene...
This celebrated and glorious song is rendered to an audience of social outcasts: Shepherds.
During the time of Jesus' birth, shepherds were banned from testifying in court and looked down upon by the religious and political leaders and the power structure of the Roman state. They were marginalized, disadvantaged, and nomadic.
Perhaps that is exactly why they are the first at-large group to hear the Good News of the Lamb of God's birth.
First, one angel shares the good news with the shepherds (v. 9). But, seemingly the word was so good that the heavens could not contain the joy of the message and bursts into a multi-angel chorus.
Let's grasp this truth: shepherds heard the good news of Christ's birth first. The word of Jesus'…